Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Baby Steps...

I'm slowly getting back on track. Started walking around the neighborhood with Riley. I loved doing this last year...as spring finally comes to Cincinnati an awakening begins within me as well. My neighborhood is perfect for walking...so many routes and quiet, tree-lined streets...it's just lovely. And as an added benefit, Riley really loves it too!

This week, I've started planning my diet in a more thoughtful way. Though I haven't given up on eating organically, through all this, I have been eating out alot over the past few months and, therefore, have not been eating as organically as I normally would.

The latest issue of Clean Eating just came out and there are so many recipes in it that I am excited about making. Made the Salmon and black bean salsa last night. Delish! Having black bean burger for lunch today...and as always, when I eat in a positive way, I see results on the scale.

I haven't been successful, so far, in getting up early enough to get to the gym. I have been sleeping a lot lately. In bed by 10pm and not waking up until 7am or even 8am. I think I've been really tired for a long time and am just catching up. But, I'm giving myself a break on this because, you know, baby steps. I don't have to be "the perfect dieter" all at once.

I bought 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food a couple months ago and picked it back up last night. It is good...a small little, pocket-sized book...with lots of great ideas for finding other ways to deal with stress without automatically turning to food. Really should have been following the ideas when I was in the thick of all the stress! But reading it now and perhaps I can put some of those practices in place so that the next time I'm stressed I can do that instead of eating cake.

Today, I will keep the following in mind:

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 comments:

Sydney said...

That book sounds like a good resource! Everything I have read seems to indicate that when we turn to food for solace and overeat the problem is actually rarely about food...which is why tackling food as the 'problem' and admonishing ourselves for lack of willpower doesn't seems to work. Finding what we are distracting ourselves from with our fixation on food is the key. And, as you are doing, looking for other ways to self-care.

At least that is my experience. Be kind to yourself as you take these baby steps.

Sending you much, much love!

Nature Restoring Life said...

You can do this routine Kim!! I know you can!