Friday, June 25, 2010

Week 2: 191.8 - 46.8 pounds to go

I was surprised to see the number on the scale...3.2 pound loss? I barely tried. But, try, I did, at least a little bit and now I am happily on my way.

The newest yoga magazine arrived in my mailbox a week or so ago and I've only just now gotten around to flipping through the pages...saw a wonderful article about equanimity. I want to share a bit of the article here...it's on page 58 of the August 2010 Yoga Journal, in the article, "Calm Within" by Frank Jude Boccio.
"Equanimity gives you the energy to persist, regardless of the outcome, because you are connected to the integrity of the effort itself. In the Bhagavad Gita, Krishna tells Arjuna that this attitude of focusing on the action without attachment to the outcome is yoga: "Self-possessed, resolute, act without any thought of results, open to success or failure. This equanimity is yoga." Similarly, Patanjali tells us in chapeter 1 of the Yoga Sutra, verses 12 through 16, that abhyasa, continuous applied effort, coupled with vairagya, the willingness to observe experience without getting caught in reactivity to it, will lead to freedom from suffering."

Haha. How funny is it that I would post this along with the results of my weigh in?

But here's the thing...I do get so caught up in the results...getting on that scale every week and, now, writing the results here is how I am going to keep myself accountable.

But in thinking about cultivating equanimity...it seems that I am going to have to also concentrate on some non-scale outcomes. I think I should try to add in a new practice each week...something that can't be measured by stepping on the scale.

I'll try to remember that and will write about it here.

No comments: