Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The End of Overeating

A few months ago Cathy and I were talking about the foods that we crave. She was saying that she craves savory carbs like mashed potatoes and pizza. I was saying that I crave sweet fats like cakes, brownies, donuts, and moist/chewy cookies (high fat, high sugar carbs).

I started reading a book this weekend that talks specifically about this subject. The End of Overeating by David Kessler is a study of the American diet. It's fascinating and validates what I've known about myself for years. I'm addicted to those kinds of foods. Not just the thought of those foods...not so much a psychological addiction...I'm talking about a physical addiction.

"When we put food rich in sugar, fat, and salt in our mouths, we stimulate neurons, which are the basic cells of the brain. Neurons are connected in circuits and communicate with one another to create feelings, store information, and control behavior. They respond to rewarding foods by firing electical signals and releasing brain chemicals that then travel to interconnected neurons. We say those neurons are 'encoded' for palatability"(p35).

Kessler makes the case that we are physically addicted to foods high in fat, sugar, and salt through palatability, rewarding foods, and interconnected neurons.

Finally! The Why!!! Is that helpful at all? Maybe. I guess I will see. As I read more of this book, I will share more of it. Sorry to cut this post short...per usual, I am multi-tasking...big/busy work week. :)

No comments: