Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Yoga Retreat

Cathy got me an early birthday present (thank you, Honey!)...a yoga retreat! I'm so excited...it begins on Friday and goes through Sunday.

I'm heading out early on Friday because I have another dermatology appointment but when it's over, I'll head down to Hope Springs. The retreat is full...and that's great because it sounds like an amazing weekend. My intention for the weekend is to reclaim my yoga practice...I want to feel good about yoga all the time...I want to find my own daily practice, my go-to practice that I can jump into right out of bed.

This is the schedule:

Friday

  • Registration & Free Time
  • Orientation - Farmhouse
  • Supper - Farmhouse
  • Circle Time – Spirit House
  • Yoga – Studio
Saturday
  • Breakfast – Farmhouse
  • Meditation & Pranayama – Spirit House
  • Labyrinth – Spirit House/Meadow
  • Yoga – Studio
  • Lunch – Farmhouse
  • Massages & Free Time
  • Supper – Farmhouse
  • Yoga – Studio
  • Campfire
Sunday
  • Breakfast – Farmhouse
  • Meditation & Pranayama – Spirit House
  • Labyrinth –Spirit House/Meadow
  • Yoga – Studio
  • Lunch –Farmhouse
  • Yoga – Studio
  • Depart
Sounds fun to me! Though I have to say, I'm feeling just a tad intimidated. (Not about my body!!! Fat women can do yoga!) I have been practicing, on and off, for more than a year. And I'm getting better at it. My stomach and breasts don't get in the way as much as I used to feel they did. (Sorry, it's true! Lots of women of size feel that yoga is hard because our bodies can make it hard to settle into a pose.)

But I tend to still get really pissy about 1/3 into most classes...usually because I am frustrated with myself for not being able to get into a pose or for not being able to breathe right. So I know that the retreat is full and I am thinking that all the attendees will be these long, lithe, perfect yoga bodies...and there I will be, a bumbling beginner (still!) who can barely touch her toes (why are my hamstrings SO freaking tight?????????? I was so limber when I was a kid!).

first attempt

I'm going to skip over to Curvaceous Woman Yoga and read some of Lisa's blogs to inspire me and get my courage up! :D
In the meantime, I was inspired by Tara Costa and decided to make my own mantra bracelet...I love it and want to make a couple others! This first one, I was just trying to figure out how to make it. For the second one, I will use an actual mantra. :D
After the retreat, I'm back home for a couple of days before I have to go on the road for work. Will try to post photos and my impressions of the retreat when I get back.

2 comments:

Lisa ~ Fat Yogini said...

I love the mantra bracelet - what a great idea! And you're going to have an amazing time at your yoga retreat. Just remember to stay in tune with yourself and what *feels* right in the moment. :) *big hugs* Have fun and tell us all about it when you get back!!

Re•Purpose Eclectic said...

Thanks Lisa, your blog is an inspiration!