Tuesday, February 9, 2010

How Many Times Do You Think I Can Start Over?

Maybe it will only be once this year? Maybe it will be 12 times...

So January was a wash. I am lucky I didn't gain a whole bunch of weight. I was very stressed out and worked an average of 60+ hours a week, every week...through last week.

And when it comes to stress...it seems that making healthy lifestyle changes fall way down on my priority list.

So I'm not sure what to do about that. Right now, the only thing that comes to mind is to get back on track during periods when I'm not so stressed.

Things are lighter this week and therefore, I'm trying to get back to my healthy routine. I went grocery shopping yesterday and bought all my healthy, organic foods. I plan to try a couple new recipes this week and already made one last night...

From the new Clean Eating magazine (I love that mag!!!) - Moroccan Buffalo & Chickpea Chili

Ingredients:
- 1 lb top-round buffalo steak or lean beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 tbsp cumin, ground
- 2 tsp dried coriander
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp saffron
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 6oz jar tomato paste
- 2 lemons (optional)

Instructions:
In a large nonstick pot, cook steak for 2 minutes over med heat. Add garlic, onion, celery, carrots, and all spices. Cook for 5 minutes. Then add chickpeas, cooking for 2 more minutes. Turn up heat to high and pour in 4 cups water, corn, tomatoes, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then stir in tomato paste. Reduce heat to simmer and cook uncovered for 35-45 mins. Stir occasionally, until liquid reduces and chili thickens. Squeeze juice of lemons into chili, if desired, and stir. Remove bay leaf before serving. 2 cup serving is 397 calories, 9g fat, 11g fiber, 29g protein.



Tonight is Biggest Loser...and I have not kept up with trying to do the challenges. I guess I didn't really think it through...I just don't have the time or resources to try and repeat most of the challenges...so I guess that's a goal I am not going to reach. I am, however, going to workout tonight during BL. We have spruced up our gym by adding a flat screen television with digital antenna and dvd player. So now I can watch BL while on the elliptical (I know Jillian is not fond of that piece of equipment but it's what I have in my home gym, so I'm going to use it!).

Back on track! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just made this last weekend. It's the first recipe I tried out of the clean eating magazine. Holy moly it was delicious. I made a double batch and it didn't last 24 hours in my house.