Thursday, February 11, 2010

Two Glasses of Wine at Dinner Kind of Day...

Well, yesterday kind of sucked. There's this guy...since some folks I work with read my blog, I'll keep this bit on the surface. Suffice to say, the hardest part of my job is managing the "challenging" personalities that I come in contact with from time to time. There's a lot of posturing and ego driven behavior going on right now and half the time that kind of thing is directed at me because...you know...I'm just a cog in the wheel. This kind of thing causes me a lot of stress and I feel it on a physical level. I know that's why I get so worn down and why my immune system isn't as strong as it once was.

At any rate, the stress got to me yesterday and I used that as an excuse to "treat" myself at dinner. We went to a funky little restaurant around the corner...nice bar, little 2 piece combo playing some 1920s jazz...and one of the best hamburgers I've ever had. Yeah. A hamburger. And fries. And two glasses of wine. And then when we got home, my partner...who had heard me say that I was really craving cake (coconut cake!) surprised me with a piece of cake. This is the first time she's ever done that and she did it in a great way. She got the cake, cut a normal sized slice (if on the smallish side) and brought it to me. It was a complete surprise and when she gave me the dish she said, "I'm taking the rest to work tomorrow." Perfect. So it was going to be one piece and not something that I was going to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner the next day. ;>

That piece of cake was so good.

So this morning, I have oatmeal cooking on the stove for breakfast and I've already packed my lunch...a nice, organic salad with low cal balsamic dressing and a bowl of organice chicken and rice soup. An apple is packed for a late afternoon snack. I've got my water bottle full and ready to go as well.

Three things that I'm proud of:
1. I remained professional even though that guy was being such a p***k.
2. I did the best I could on that proposal. And I was able to help out another team on a task to bring in another customer (we've been trying to get this one for 7 months!).
3. I went to bed early and got a good night's sleep.

Today is going to be a better day. I choose to make today the best it can be for me. I choose overcome any obstacles that stand in my way. I will reach all of my daily goals today.

No comments: