Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Week 6: Non Dairy Coffee Creamer?

I love my coffee and have 2-3 cups every morning. First thing I do is shuffle down the stairs into the kitchen and start my morning ritual of making coffee. Back in the day, I sweetened my coffee with fake sugar and poured gallons of vanilla fat free international foods coffee creamer in it. Then, a few years ago, I gave up fake sugar. It took a little while longer for me to make the switch from fake creamer to organic half and half.

Now I want to make a switch again...because, yesterday, I read something about milk that grossed me the hell out. Seriously. I don't know that I can ever drink milk again. I'm not going to tell you what I read because you may not want to give up milk. :D 

However, if you're interested, pick up a copy of The World Peace Diet and check out the section about the milk mustache. You'll see what I mean.

World Peace Diet: Eating for Spiritual Health and Social Harmony

So this book...it arrived at my doorstep yesterday. I ordered it because I've decided to take a yoga class (World Peace Yoga) on Mondays (followed by The World Peace Diet Study Group). This goes back to my post, the other day, about finding balance. Instead of working ridiculous hours every day of the week, I'm going to, at least, take one night off and do something for myself. So the book arrived and I started flipping through it. One of the sections that caught my eye was the one about the milk mustache, I read it and...wow. So now I'm wary. The thing is I don't really want to be vegan. I thought I had already figured out how I felt about this after I read Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot I don't eat: pig, duck and veal. (And, as a side note - when you give up eating pork, you really see how much America loves their bacon...it's in EVERYTHING).

I am not really interested in giving up eating chicken, fish, and beef. Yes, I know I am a hypocrite. I know, I know, but I have justified this by saying I do what I can. I've made my choices and that's how I feel. I thought that I could read this book and go to this class and just be vegan one day of the week. Is that naive? I guess so. I mean, I didn't think that I'd read this book and be so grossed out that it would change my thinking. I just thought it would be all, "animals are awesome and we shouldn't be eating them because we are cruel bitches!"

I don't mind the milk thing so much because almond milk and rice milk can be great substitutes. I found a non-dairy coffee creamer last night that I have high hopes for.

MimicCreme Cream Substitute, 32-Ounce Aseptic Boxes (Pack of 4)

BUT, I didn't consider the dairy products that are staples in my life...that I really love to eat...cheese and butter. How can I walk away from cheese? One of my all time favorite meals is bread and cheese. Oh yeah, I know there's vegan cheese but that stuff doesn't even come close to the artisan cheeses that make up the cheese plates I enjoy. (Not to mention, I don't want to switch everything I eat to soy. I don't believe that soy is good for the environment or women).

I guess I'll leave that dilemma for another day.

I will try to remain open to this study group but it's possible that I will chicken out and just take the yoga class!

No comments: