Sunday, August 1, 2010

Vegan Brownies - Surprise Chocolate Brownies

They are in the oven as I type this...will know this evening whether they are any good! Stay tuned...

But here's the recipe, in case you are interested. By the way, I found this recipe in Yoga Magazine, Issue 88, page 66. They credit the booklet, Veggie Kids' Kitchen http://www.vegsoc.org/

Makes 12 at about 141 calories each. Calories for the whole pan are appx 1690.

Ingredients:
1 cup dates (organic)
2 oz whole wheat flour (organic)
2 tsp baking powder (I use the aluminum free kind!)
3 tbsp cocoa powder
8 tbsp vegan butter (Earth Balance, I use the soy free kind)
1 very ripe banana, mashed (organic)
1 tsp vanilla extract (I used fair trade)
Organic veggie oil for greasing the pan

Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
  2. Place the dates in a medium saucepan with just enough water to cover...cook over med heat for 5 mins or until soft.
  3. Once the dates have softened, drain off the hot water and let cool, then puree the dates (I used a hand blender)
  4. In a small mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder, then set aside.
  5. In a medium mixing bowl, using a fork, cream together the dates and butter.
  6. Stir in the sifted flour mixture, then add the banana and vanilla.
  7. Grease the baking dish lightly and evenly spread the mixture into it, smoothing the top with a spoon.
  8. Bake for 20-25 mins or until the brownies start to come away from the sides of the dish.
  9. Allow to cool in the pan, cut and serve.

Reviews to come! I hope they are delish!

***********************

Results: I say "delicious! Light, chocolatey, and definitely brownie like. I mean, they don't taste like something out of a Betty Crocker box but they are really good. Not at all like I was afraid they'd taste...I thought vegan meant tasteless, cardboard...but these are rich and the dates make them chewy."

No comments: