Tuesday, April 7, 2009

In the beginning...

I weigh more today than I have ever weighed in my life.

I've been dieting since I was 13. Oddly, though, I have been at a healthy weight most of my life. So, how did I end up here?

Where is here, exactly? Today my stats are as follows:

Age: 44
Height: 5'3"
Weight: 199
Bust: 46"
Waist: 43"
Hips: 46"
Thigh: 27"
Calf: 16.5"
Upper Arm: 14"

Yikes. And that's all I'm going to say about that, for now.

My point? This blog is about my journey from fat, tired (make that exhausted all the time!), and just so fed up and frustrated with my weight to the healthiest me I can be.

I am so sick of the "diet industry." Seriously. I have spent so much money over the years. I have a whole library of diet, nutrition, and exercise books. I've paid thousands of dollars to gyms that I barely even stepped into. I've bought so many exercise gadgets and pieces of equipment that I could open my own gym. (In fact, I have a "gym" in the basement of my house).

The diet industry is a $35 billion dollar a year business. I knew it was big business, but I didn't know it was that big. I think about all the money I've thrown onto that bonfire and I'm still gaining weight and it is so frustrating. I'm 199 pounds. And thousands of dollars poorer. The "diet industry" hasn't helped me at all.

So, I'm done. No more diet books, no more diet programs (Weight Watchers I'm talking to you!). I'm starting fresh. I forgive myself for all the diet failures I've had over the years. I am letting go of all the mistakes I've made.

My focus is on getting healthy...I want to rid my diet of processed crap. I want to feel good and strong. I want to go up a few flights of steps without taking 5 minutes to recover when I reach the top. I want to be able to feel like an athlete. I want to look good in what I wear.

I hope you'll join me in this journey.

No comments: