Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Java Jive

Somewhere along the line I started drinking coffee and then couldn't seem to start my morning without a cup o' joe...hot, bitter/sweet, rich cream...so wonderful. But a year ago, I realized, at best, I'm drinking down 100 calories every morning. On a 1286 calorie diet, every calorie counts.

So I began to think about how to cut those calories. The truth is, I don't like black coffee...I like it with vanilla cream and real sugar (back in the day I used aspartame! ack!). Cutting down on the sugar and cream was a logical step...trying a different kind of creamer was another but really still kept me at 100 calories every morning.

Then I began reading good things about tea. Drinking a cup of tea in the morning is so much better for the body than coffee. So I tried green tea but, ugh...I just don't like the taste (or the smell) and it made me nauseous. Switched to another tea, then another and this morning, finally think I got it right...am settling on the Honeybush tea...for now. Delicious!

Tonight I was thinking that I'm kind of proud of myself on making this shift! I know it's a small step but I think it's a step in the right direction.

2 comments:

Bobbi said...

Love this! Check out my FB page on Teavana. They are awesome! Lots of ways to blend them and get just what you want. If you have a store near you (and you probably do), you can go in and sample - and also smell all the wonderful ones that appeal to you!!

Great job with making the switch! I'm working hard to completely kick the cola habit - moving completely to tea and water. We'll do it together! :)

Re•Purpose Eclectic said...

Hahah! So funny! I was just in a Teavana today and the guy behind the counter pissed off Cathy so bad, she'll probably never go back in...but the tea was delish! I ended up buying a new box of tea at Whole Foods...Mighty Leaf, Organic Breakfast Tea.