Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Great HUGGING Experiment!

Yesterday, when I was out for my long walk, I listened to the two latest Jillian Michaels' podcasts. On one of them she had a guest speaker, endocriologist, Dr. Van Herle.

Dr. V talked about 7 things that will boost your energy. One of them was intimacy with your partner. Not necessarily, sex...even a hug has been proven to raise oxytocin levels. Oxytocin is also known as the love hormone and has been shown to reduce anxiety and increases energy, lessens depression, and helps to combate cardiovascular stressors.

Hearing this got me thinking that maybe a good long hug everyday might help me in more ways than one. Maybe this would be one thing in my day where I felt like I was just receiving unconditional love...something to fill that well.

So I decided to ask my partner to take part in an experiment. I asked her if, every morning, she would give me a 1 minute long hug.

Just thinking about asking for that was kind of scary for me...because asking for it would make me vulnerable...saying this is what I need to feel supported and loved...I don't know, maybe I felt a little stupid, a little less than for asking.

But, of course, I have an amazing, emotionally generous partner who immediately got it and was on board with the experiment. As soon as I asked for it, she got up, walked over to me and gave me good long hug.

So, I'll let you know how this 30 day experiment goes...stay tuned!

No comments: